Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Dreaming of the Gorsuch family quilt...


Don't get too excited...this is a picture of a picture.  This is the Gorsuch family quilt.  What do you do when you are disconnected from your quilt cave and your stash?  You dream, scheme, and plan about projects to start when you are reconnected...this usually involves spending a little money...


I ordered this pattern from Margo E. Hardie from the land down under.  Here is her home page.  Her email is quiltsbeautifulpatterns@yahoo.com.  She does mail to the United States.  I am so grateful for her time-consuming reproduction of this amazing quilt!

I have always loved this quilt...the Gorsuch family owned the quilt, but it is not certain who made it.  Many of the blocks are similar to blocks made or designed by Mary Simon at that time in history. Many people may have contributed blocks, or maybe they were all stitched by one person.



I want to make this quilt...or one similar to it, but one thing has always bugged me about it...the blocks are all on point, but really only one of the blocks NEEDS to be on point.  See the urn block just above?  All the other blocks have the appearance of leaning slightly.  Oh, and I guess the squirrel in one of the other blocks pictured above will have to be readjusted for a straight set.

To my eye, most of the blocks would work set in a straight setting. I have not completely studied the directions yet, but I think the blocks are supposed to finish at 13.5 or 14 inches square.  I am thinking of either resizing the one obvious on-point block or resizing all the others and choosing a block size that would work for all.  You may all think I am nuts, but that's the way I see it.




If I change the setting, the cornucopia wouldn't look so strange to me...right now it looks like it is dumping out its contents.  In a straight set, it would make more sense to my eye, and the container would be on a diagonal line.


This is the on-point pattern.


But the down side to the changes would be not needing the charming setting and corner triangles.  They are not consistent as far as difficulty and fullness.  The pattern on the left below would whip up very quick, but the one with all the berries would be time-consuming.  Maybe I could use the designs to make additional square blocks...




And here is one of the sweet little corner triangles...


Those who know me know I have trouble leaving other people's patterns alone.  I change blocks, borders, etc. until the final project pleases me.  That is what led me to drawing the Baltimore Rhapsody music project. Half of the blocks in my Civil War Bride quilt were redrawn to my liking and to fit our family story.

I guess I am saying I don't feel bad about changing things and will most likely do this to the Gorsuch quilt pattern.  Margo did a beautiful job interpreting this historic quilt, but I must make changes if I am going to spend all this time making it. 

Anyway, as I continue to pack boxes and tie up loose Michigan ends, I am dreaming of applique...

In stitches,
Teresa  :o) 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt, but I'm with you, the baskets and others look sideways. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt. The cornucopia looks like a garden gnome's hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you - this quilt would like better on a straight setting or all of the blocks need to be adjusted other than the urn block - strange that it was set this way isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can see you making this quilt with your own spectacular flair. I too am bothered by the directional (or mis-directional) blocks on some Baltimore quilts. I have made only one quilt from a purchased pattern and it was a special request from a friend, so I can relate to wanting to make it your own. You will make it beautiful, I'm sure. Happy dreaming for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a huge fan of on point applique blocks either. Do what you like so you love that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's an amazing quilt and you'll just improve on it : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Beautiful blocks. At first I thought the on-point setting was different and interesting but now I am thinking that it is an odd setting and makes a person have to tilt their head to view it. I know it will be a while before you can start on it. Will be interesting to see what changes you make and how much different from the original.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, this quilt will be spectacular in your hands, I just know it! I can also relate to that inverse relationship between access to our hobby and the money we spend on it. That's how my stash and project backlog has grown so much, from times when I couldn't sew for one reason or another but I was planning and dreaming (and shopping) like a madwoman... Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have the license to make it your own. It will be a beautiful quilt when you can get to your fabric. Hopefully you will reconnect soon. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patterns are starting points.............right? I think it would not be that hard to redesign the blocks to make them all play nice and not be on point. Can't wait to see what you end up doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always dreaming about the next applique project :0) this one looks like it could keep you busy for a little while - lol! I think it's a great idea to change the pattern and personalize this fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is one gorgeous quilt and i am sure however you decide to tweak it, it'll be gorgeous like the baltimore rhapsody....and i feel your pain as i too am separated from my stash and stuff...it IS painful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bless you heart! I feel your pain. That's the problem with getting so attached to our stash, isn't it? It's good to see you occupying yourself with plans for the reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will have so much fun with this quilt. Looking forward to see your progress and the changes you make.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm like you and change patterns all the time. Your quilt your way will look so different and you will be so happy to have made the change. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!