Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Leaving the 1600's for a crucial 21st century project...


How is everybody doing with social distancing and being under house arrest?

I decided to make some fabric masks for my daughter, her two roommates, and my beloved, feisty aunt. 

Protecting the Riley's roommates protects my daughter (and, I love her roommates!).

Let's just say that a handful of masks became 91 really fast...family, family, family.


So, I decided to make the masks with crazy, cheerful, novelty fabrics.  I went on Pinterest and found, and read, a few of the mask-making free tutorials.  The one I decided on required a main fabric and a coordinating strip.


Well, I forgot the first rule for tutorials, or really anything.

Don't cut out 60 sets of fabrics for projects/blocks without making one first.  It may be inaccurate or not be a good approach for you.

Trying to make the main part was not that bad, but then there were the short strips that were to go on the pleated edges (to be turned and flipped to the back while securing the elastic).

It looked like crap.  Layers were too thick for adding the strip and all top stitching was impossible.  I was even using my Featherweight, which can sew through a motor boat.

There had to be a better way.  I sort of came up with an easier way, but checked out Pinterest to see if anyone was doing it my way...not really.



Originally I really enjoyed matching up scrappy strips with my larger rectangles.  It is always enjoyable to jump into a pile of really fun fabrics and match things up, thinking about the fabric theme and personality of the recipient.


Now I have the unused matching scrappy strips.  No problem.  I went through all my little folded mask rectangles and removed those tucked-in coordinating strips.  I ended up with this pile, which isn't a bad thing.  I love scrappy projects.


Disaster number two.  I only had enough 1/8 or 1/4 elastic for a dozen masks.  I went on Amazon, JoAnn's, Michaels, Craft Direct, Nancy's Notions, Google...there was none anywhere in this country until the end of April (I ordered a big spool weeks ago).

Apparently in addition to not making enough PPE and ventilators in this country, we don't make elastic anymore.  My huge spool is coming from China.  America's manufacturing is messed up!

Judging from the number of Etsy sellers offering masks and the stories/blog posts about volunteering to make masks, I can see why there is no elastic in the USA!  I wonder where they are getting their elastic?

I wish I hoarded dress-making materials like I hoard fabric.

I had also planned to make these for all my siblings and their families, planning two masks for each person (wash one, while wearing other).  They were also in sorted and labeled into piles, ready for a couple of good DVDs and a lot of chain piecing.

Anyway, I continued with my first dozen, three a piece, turning under the ends, marking and pinning the pleats, tucking in elastic, and top stitching the whole thing.  It worked pretty well!


I hope I get faster with the remaining eighty-seven!


Voila!

Stay safe!

In stitches, 
Teresa   :o)

On another thread...

My Aunt Katrina is 91 and acts like 70 or less.  She drives, mows, does yard work, and she is used to getting out and going anywhere she wants (usually in her sporty little Mazda Miata). 

She is totally behaving herself, though.  She is my hero and my last "parent."  I love her so much, and I am so glad she's being a good girl.

My daughter and her two roommies are trapped in their apartment in Atlanta.  Riley is laid off, Katharina was working from home (now back at a law office), and Joe kept his chef job at a pizza place 4 nights a week, but currently acts as indoor host for pick up.

I worry about K and J going out to work and bringing virus home.  They have been taking turns going out and foraging for toilet paper and groceries, so basically once every three weeks.

I wanted Riley to just come home to Yeldell, but she wanted to stay with her buds.  They have been cooking together (and learning so much from each other, which is awesome!) and catching up with a lot of TV series/movies.  Then there's the online D & D with friends...NERDS!  And ZOOM gatherings...I need to catch up with the new technology.

I don't think they thought they would be doing social distancing and being so careful for so long.

I think Riley is afraid at this point she would come home and infect her old parents (65 and 59).  She is almost overly careful, which I am glad of.

16 comments:

  1. instead of elastic you can cut up an old t-shirt - cut in 1/2 inch strips and pull them tight and they come out like elastic - you can then cut the loops for over the ears - I think I did mine about 7 1/2 inches - couldn't find elastic anywhere after I used up what I had and finally had an order come in after I had cut up the t-shirt. Glad you are well - crazy life we have right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup my friends are all cutting up t-shirts and using that for the straps. I have been making bias ties for mine as some people said the elastic around the ears was not comfortable. I have not made very many yet but I cut long strips and do the bias fold, fold to the center and then fold in half (but they are not cut on the bias). I cut mine about 1 1/4 wide but it just depends on what you feel comfortable with. Then I find the center and that will go on the side of the mask. I start sewing at one end till I get to where it will attach on the sides of the mask and sew it along the sides (I am making the pleats while I do this but you could do that in a separate step.........also don't finish the sides as the bias ties will finish that). Then the tie gets sewn along the mask inserted inside it to finish the sides of the mask and keep sewing the tie down to the end........repeat on the other side. I kinda looked at a lot of videos and then decided on this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Large is my preference. AMEN to making a test mask before proceeding. There's a post on my blog about my adventure making masks for elder son who works at a local hospital (non-clinical also wear masks now). Love your crazy bright fabrics. I used ribbon for my ties, with squeeze toggles instead of elastic (which I despise behind my ears).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I even got desperate enough to cut an old skirt to get the elastic from the waistband. We’re certainly learning to improvise and make do! I also prefer the “large” font size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, girlfriend. I like the large font best. I've made some masks too and sent them off across the country. I need to make a couple more for hubby. Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can read the smaller font but like the large best.
    I have not made any masks. I had an idea of where to get some elastic though I don't know if it would work. Dollar store underwear. Maybe the elastic could be removed from them. I also saw that bungee cords have elastic strips inside. What they are like, I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hospital likes ties, and each hospital OT other medical facility sends out the pattern they have chosen, so no decisions to make there. But for family, I made a kind with channels on the sides to hold either elastic or ties or one continuous tie. For elastic, I cut cross sections of unopened pantyhose that I found in my drawer. This makes ear loop sized loops but the wearer still needs to adjust the tension by tying a knot in the loop. Old used ones might be fine too. Cut an inch or 1.5 inches thick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have elastic coming this week (from USA). A neighbor gave me TONS of elastic that had been grandma's (old but it still stretches). I passed it out to several of my guild ladies who are also making masks. You can also make ties (stitch across top and bottom of masks). Use a 2" strip (36" to WOF) for each tie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definately like the larger than this font.

    Keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess I’m not alone in mask-making tie struggles. I’m on my 4th or 5th prototype mask depending on which tie fabric and/or style. The t-shirt knit seems to be the quickest to make and the most comfortable to wear. The loop behind the ear seems to be the easiest/quickest one to put one and off. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are doing the same thing here... such a shortage of so many things like Clorox wipes, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, yeast ( all of a sudden the whole country is baking!) and elastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Normal was fine for me, I read on my IPad mostly. Still haven’t found the perfect mask pattern. I use tshirt ties in the halter style as elastic is hard on the ears if too tight or doesn’t hold if too loose. Stay busy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As to font size, I prefer the large size. I found myself leaning closer and closer while reading today.

    Elastic disappeared from stores as soon as the first whiff of official mask shortages for medical and first responders came along. I know some places specify elastic, but for those I've made, I use ties, mostly due to elastic shortage. I made one with elastic at DH request, but it took me a couple of tries to get the loops large enough, no wonder there are so many reports of sore irritated ears! And what about latex allergies? If he asks for more ear loop masks, I'll be trying t-shirt material. I salvaged a twin size fitted sheet, and it had elastic all the way around, so that was about 2 yards of elastic, but it's a bit too wide.

    I've been using the folded mask at 7 Pine Design and other than making ties, it goes together fast and easy. And for those making the pleated mask, Kathleen at Fashion Incubator just posted how to make and use a pleating board to speed that process up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kudos to you! I've lost count of the number I have made. I just experimented until I made one I liked and then pedal to the metal. Sounds like your daughter is quite a strong young woman! Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL!! Yes, a sample might have been in order BEFORE cutting out a gazillion mask sets. Glad you found a method that worked for you! Before a friend sent some elastic, I used T-shirt fabric for ear loops. Worked great cut at a half inch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!