Monday, December 8, 2014

Hand appliqued sawtooth borders for "Miss Emilie's Garden"...


I love the outer borders that Lori Smith designed for her "Miss Emilie's Garden" wall quilt, but I have to admit that I am having to make more of an effort to make them than I spent on making the twenty-five tiny applique blocks for the center of the quilt!

One problem that I encountered was making sure my sawtooth bits were completely straight along their edges.  I lined up my longer rulers, weighted them down so they would not move, then carefully pressed down my freezer paper patterns up against them.



I use the straight edge of my ruler to line up the edge of my pattern.


So that I wouldn't touch my plastic rulers with the edge of my sizzling iron sole plate, I first carefully "spot pressed" the "pointy" side of the pattern strip, then I moved my beloved rulers out of danger and thoroughly pressed the freezer paper pattern to the right side of the fabric.


I am leaving quite a big margin of extra fabric on the straight-edged side of my pattern.  I will trim away what I don't need later.  The black drawn line is my cutting line.


Now to glue my edges under...


Points first...



I am trying out a new iron.  I have heard a lot of hoopla about the cordless ones on the market.  I purchased a Panasonic.  


I hate dealing with the electrical cord while pressing tops and backings.  The cord is retractable into the base, and the base can be somewhere other than in my way on the ironing board.  Yippee!


It is pointy on both ends...so far I have tried to set it down like my old iron, on it's end, only once.  That doesn't work too well, LOL! Duh!


Only one end slips into the charging area.  I have not tried steam yet.  I'm still not sure if it is hot enough, but I have not used it much yet.  I will let you know.


I've been sewing props for my daughter's play...most recently, eleven huge "bags representing love"...


...and one really small bag of love.  The big bags are temporarily storing my fiber-fil and batting scraps!



In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

7 comments:

  1. Look at those perfect points! Inner and outer. Your handwork is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather sew a hundred bags of love than one appliqued border! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love seeing your attention to detail. That is probably why my applique isn't very good. I am anxious to hear what you think about that cordless iron. I will let you be the guinea pig.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your points look perfect to me, as all of your work does. You are such a perfectionist and have lots of patience. I'm with Kathy, I would get 100 bags of love finished before that sawtooth border for sure! I have that iron and it works good on steam too. I take it to retreats a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of bags to sew :D That border - wow! That's devotion to do those sawtooth strips by applique. I admit that I'd probably pitch the applique and do these by piecing - or maybe prairie points? Your applique borders will be so pretty! I'm looking forward to seeing if you think the iron stays hot enough - particularly with yardage/backs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!