Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Mmmm...Chocolate wedding cake...

We were remembering our wedding on our 20th anniversary last week and remembering that we only had one cake at the reception...chocolate, which totally bucks the trend, especially 20 years ago...more on that when I post the next "CONTENTMENT" block...

There is a saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  Well, I love the method I use for prepping my hand applique, but I am not beyond tweaking when necessary.

I really like glue basting my little bits together and/or to backgrounds after using my trusty Elmer's glue stick to temporarily turn the little edges under.  When I used to use pins, snagging my applique thread on those pins used to make me completely mental.  

Swapping to glue basting instead of pinning was a natural step, since I already soak my block to remove the glue stick.

Roxanne's Glue Baste has always been my glue of choice for this step.  I love how fast things adhere, even immediately after doing the "dot-dot-not-a-lot" routine and smashing things together.

Where I wanted to tweak things is at the soak step.  It takes no time to dissolve the glue stick and get that out of the way.  The Roxanne's little glue dots take longer to dissolve.  I can usually see them through the background when everything is wet and I can monitor how much longer the soaking step has to take.

But I am impatient.

I decided to experiment with some Elmer's liquid school glue.  It is supposed to be VERY washable.  The biggest problem for me was the applicator.  The traditional twisty orange cap is very clumsy if you are looking to make tiny little glue drops.  

I ordered some empty glue applicator bottles with needle tips from the Internet.

Things don't stick together as well when the glue is wet, but seem to be fine once I allow time for some drying (but I am impatient...sigh).  The glue is thinner than the Roxanne's, probably to make it dissolve faster for preschool teachers who are dealing with a glue-in-the-hair situation.

The glue has that bluish look to it...kind of like looking at skim milk after you have been using 2%.

The empty bottles came in a bag of six, so I might try some regular Elmer's glue (which will also soak and wash away).

I love results, but I need to also love the process.  It never hurts to do a little experimenting and tweaking!

In stitches,
Teresa   :o)


  1. I love the Roxanne's also! I have the same problem with letting the glue dissolve... I have seen where Sharon Schamburg uses Elmer's to apply her bindings...she irons the wet glue to dry it fast. Maybe this will be your solution to waiting for the Elmer's to dry? Read about it on her website for more info.

  2. Drying the glue with an iron is the method I use, but don't use your best iron. Maybe a test sample would be best. I even thought about diluting the Elmer's glue some so you use less and it would dry faster. Also maybe would flow through your tip better. Chris

  3. What about using Aleen's Original Tacky Glue in the brown bottle with the white lid. It can be purchased at Wallmart and is a thicker version of the Elmer's and washes out so might stick faster and dry quicker. It could be put in your new bottles too.

  4. great idea. I need to see about getting some of the bottles and tops.
    My problem has been the glue drying up in that narrow neck. How do you keep it from doing that?
    I love seeing the quilting being done on your "music" quilt.

  5. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.A fantastic presentation. Very open and informative.You have beautifully presented your thought in this blog post. Wedding Chocolate


Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!