Monday, November 12, 2018

Quilting Fantasy Come TRUE!


I am all a-flutter!  My "CONTENTMENT" anniversary quilt was juried into the 2018 IQA Houston International Quilt Festival!

And even better, I found out at the pre-show, Tuesday night Winner's Circle Celebration what ribbon I had won in the "Applique, Small" category.  Now that I am home, I am still unsure that the week even happened!



I found out a couple of weeks before Market that I had "won a prize between $250-$1000."  I found out my fate through email...apparently you get a phone call if you are one of the 8 big winners ($5000-$12,500).  

Further details about "the color of my ribbon" would be revealed in the Winner's Circle.


Once the huge crowd was settled in the combined ballrooms, we were all welcomed by the Founder and Director Emeritus, Karey Bresenhan.  Next year will be the 45th year of her life's dream.


Then the fun began!  In addition to the eight major awards and the three judges' choices (which were presented first), there were 41 categories in which prize winners needed to be announced and presented awards by the particular category sponsors.  

A slide show revealed each category's winners, starting excitingly with Honorable Mention.  When first place for each group was revealed, a small curtain was raised revealing the winning quilt, momentarily illuminated by a spotlight (mine is on the far right in this picture.)

They start on the back walls of each side, working toward the front of the room as the excitement builds.  The ballrooms' tall walls were draped in black curtains.  I didn't even see the smaller hanging curtains covering the quilts until the process started.






All kinds of quilting royalty were on hand to pass out their awards.  Here are Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson for TheQuiltShow.com.


The winner of the Handi Quilter BEST OF SHOW got a big ol' check...actually on a big ol' check!  ("ETERNAL BEAUTY", Sherry Reynolds, Laramie, Wyoming)

Will that check be checked or a carry-on when she travels home?!?


Finally, they got to my category.  It is absolutely terrifying...and thrilling...to wait to hear your name as they start with Honorable Mention.

When I got back to my seat, I immediately took a picture, just in case they realized a mistake on their part and took it away.


After all the awards were presented, they turned up the spot lights on all 50+ winning quilts and everyone in attendance got to be the first ones to see them up close and personal...a fancy sneakie-peekie.









We all stood by our quilts to greet people and answer questions.  I stood by my quilt for quite a while, until the people thinned out.  There were so many people, it was hard to get pictures until most folks had gone home.


 I even found the ballroom carpeting inspirational...


 ...and some tile accents on a wall out in the concourse.




Inspiration is everywhere!

There were so many International quilts in this show.  A lot of International quilters and quilt lovers were at the show, which was so much fun!  

In addition to USA quilts, the following citizen quilters were represented: Australia, Spain, France, Finland, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Germany, Kenya, United Kingdom, China, Sweden, New Zealand, Mexico, Israel, and Brazil.

I have SOOOO many pictures to share with you!!!!!  LOTS of posts coming full of lovelies!

(I even kept the sign from my chair...)


In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

39 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Well deserved Teresa! Very happy for you!

    Rondi
    rondiquilts@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations! Contentment is an amazing quilt and so beautifully appliqued. Well-deserved award to a very talented and dedicated quilter! I am delighted to have viewed it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations Teresa - you sure do deserve this - your hard work and perseverance sure paid off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful!!! Congratulations on your quilt getting FIRST PLACE!!! I just bet you were walking on air!!! You are in some mighty rarefied air up there...doing the happy chair dance for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I hit a wrong button and my comment came back with something else - so sorry. I am so absolutely delighted for you. This was a well earned award. I would have fainted having to sit thru all of that and then - bam! I hope we get to see a photo of you with the quilt and ribbon.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm so proud of you! Your quilt is amazing and I am not at all surprised that it has received this recognition. Your use of color, your talent at appliqué, the cheerfulness that shines through, your gift for storytelling--so many elements come together to make this quilt a real stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is awesome! Congratulations! I have been to the Houston show once, when I lived in Texas. Would love to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO thrilled for you and glad I got to see you for just a moment. I hope you keep this memory close to your heart as you go on making great quilts. To get in to the World of Beauty IQA show is a huge honor--to win, that's priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thrilled for you! Well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulation! I am so thrilled for you, every time I see your quilt I smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Teresa, on the well-deseerved First Place! What an exciting evening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Congratulations! how exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! You deserve it. I live your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So excited for you!!! Well deserved my friend, well deserved. You ARE a true artist and your peers agree! 💖

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clap, clap, clap, clap .... I'm so thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought about you last week and wondered where you were and what you were up to. Never imagined this, but what a wonderful surprise. I've always loved this quilt. You surely deserve this award and like everyone else, I'm thrilled for you.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness... soooo very exciting! Congratulations!
    It is on my bucket list to go to the Houston Quilt show someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations and well done on your *CONTENTMENT* quilt win. I've always loved this quilt and watching you put it all together, stitch by stitch and week by week was a joy to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations. I followed you when you were posting the construction of it on your blog. It is even lovelier in person, if that would be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!! Your quilt is really beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many, many, many, many congrats!! You so deserve it!! And thanks for sharing the show with us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. congratulations! you must be over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was Soooo excited when a friend posted your quilt on her Facebook page as a winner. She didn't have your label on there so I posted your name. Once again, I am not surprised, but I am ever so delighted. No one deserves it more. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations!!!! I’m thrilled for you. I know each of your quilts contains a lot of memories, and are packed full of meaning. You must feel great to have won the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a tremendous honor - first place! Wow that's great. I know you were so proud to stand beside your quilt and entertain questions. You are among the best!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! So happy to hear of your win.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How wonderful!! You so deserve this. Your quilt is just stunning. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was so excited to see your quilt in the show! Congratulations! It was amazing and very prize worthy! If I had known you were there I'd have tried to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! I saw pictures of your quilt on a couple Facebook posts and I am sure there were many I didn't see.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations!! It was fun to see your quilt with a big blue ribbon!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So happy for YOU! Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How exciting and huge Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations are indeed in order for you. I'm a wee bit late in reading blogs, but your quilt is beautiful. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Teresa, what a joy your quilting art gives to all of us in northern Alabama. And now, to the quilting world. I so enjoyed your presentation at HQH this year. Your organizational gifts, as well as, your meticulous hand work are an inspiration and delight! Thank you for using and excelling in both your left and right brain! (A fellow musician but not rocket scientist).

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations!!!!!!! Can't wait to see all of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations Teresa, this is the very best news ever! I'm entirely thrilled for you!
    Hugs
    Tazzie
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations! I hope you start blogging more often, now that you are a winner ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!