It looks like I changed my mind about my original grapevine appliqued outer borders for Folk Art Applique and made a summer squash border instead, doesn't it?!? I didn't lose my mind...I made these squash-shaped patterns to help me place the grape clusters. Since I am laying them out right on the border strips with no real detailed plan, by using these paper clusters, I save moving the individual grapes too much as I plan the layout.
First, I glue baste the vines on using the "dot-dot-not-a lot" technique. I had some pattern weights, so I used them to hold glued elements until I was sure everything would dry nicely in place.
I just arrange grapes under the paper patterns, peeling up one side at a time to place each individual circle, using my tweezers to hold the circles instead of my clumsy fingers.
I used a little more glue on the grapes than I usually do...I caught Weasley picking at them on the first border I prepped...BAD kitty. I will soak the borders to remove the glue, so I am not too freaked out about glue amount.
Little embroidered tendrils were added after all the grapes were stitched down.
Here's the finished left border,
And the rest...
And...drum roll, please...here is the finished top!
I guess I could have avoided the grapes altogether and just finished it with the blue scalloped inner border, but I like the look of the grapevines. Since I am hand quilting this, I will quilt something nice in the four plain corners.
Off to baste all the layers together so I can start the hand quilting...I'm going to use a Hobbs Heirloom Wool batt.