Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Strung Out" in My Basement

I have been having some fun with Bonnie Hunter's website that shares GREAT free patterns and ideas for managing and using scraps. I made this 8-pointed star using the WONDERFUL directions embedded in her pattern "Out On a String."

Her site can be found at http://www.quiltville.com./

I wanted my star block to be a little larger, so I deviated a bit from her instructions. My block measures 14 inches unfinished. It is a great way to use up skinny little scraps! I concentrated on reds, blues and neutrals to mimic an antique quilt I saw on                                                  line.

I tried making one block using her directions exactly, including the half square triangles in the corners. This was fun as well, but I wanted a slightly larger block so that I would not have to make so many of them for the quilt I have in mind. I will make more of her blocks as well so that I can make her quilt.

Bonnie's site is a good place to waste some time...she shares her methods for keeping her scraps under control. I don't know why I'm so drawn to the scrappy projects when I have yards and yards of new fabric "calling my name." I think I like quilts that represent the pioneer spirit of making do and using things up. And best of all, I don't have to make any fabric choices because I can use ALL OF THEM!!

In stitches,

Teresa  :o)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Teresa, I am also playing with Bonnie Hunter's patterns and inspirations. I've just put together 90- six inch strip blocks which will be joined in a basket-weave pattern. The biggest problem so far is that no matter how I do it, I STILL have scraps left over! - Kathy F.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!