Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Almost final "Contentment" quilt pictures...


At the risk of showing this "Contentment" quilt ad nauseum, I made a real effort to take some decent pictures yesterday...then I scheduled an appointment with a real photographer 75 miles away in Huntsville.

I was already making the trip for another appointment and I realized I really needed help.  I took these pictures with the quilt pinned against the outside of our log home in what I thought was PERFECT indirect, balanced, natural light.  The picture of the whole quilt view gets steadily darker as you get near the top...best made efforts...


The close ups of the blocks and borders look dull and a little dark, as well. I'll be watching and waiting for my new picture CD to come in the mail!


I have gotten used to the effect of the hand quilted stippling.  At first, I thought it was too severe, but I like how it makes the applique motifs "pop."

I quilted the larger applique motifs so there wouldn't be too much puffy "popping."



The quilt top started 59 x 59 inches.  The stippling caused it to shrink a half inch on all sides, so it is now 58 x 58 inches.  Thank God it shrank uniformly so that it lays nice and flat.


It turns out that the photographer that I chose had taken most of the pictures of the Gee's Bend quilts for publication.


So I have made my Sauder Village Quilt Show deadline, and yesterday afternoon I registered online for the juried Grand Rapids, Fall Paducah, and Des Moines AQS shows.


I told my husband that his quilt may be traveling for a while.  As usual, my quilts end up traveling more than me, sigh.  I intend to go to all the shows except Des Moines.







The quilt is more square than the next picture indicates...now you see why I need a professional!



This starts the progression of the border, in order, all around the quilt.  I started with the top, left-hand corner.  This top border is the last one I stitched and applied to the block portion of the quilt.






Here starts the right border, at the top, going down.








And the bottom border, starting on the right and going toward the left....it was stitched and applied first.





And finally the left border, starting at the bottom and working up. 

The two side borders were stitched and applied after the bottom border.  They are mirror images except I used different fabrics for the left one.







Have you figured out my trick with how I did my borders so they would APPEAR to go around corners??  It is a trick I saw on someone's posting of an Australian Quilt Show.

By applying the bottom border first, then the two sides, then finally the top, it allowed me to do each border by my applique method, then plunge each one into water to soak out the glues before trimming to size and applying (without having to dunk the whole quilt).

I find it difficult to get a quilt top back to square after dunking it when it is all stitched.  Even though I pre-wash my fabrics, I find the 100% cotton thread shrinks and can cause the seams to pucker. 

There are times I just do needle turn applique when I need to apply final motifs to corners.  I am not very good or fast at that method, but I can do it when there is a gun to my head, LOL!

It meant that I had to carefully execute the design and the process, but it worked.  I will be trying that trick again (you can easily start at the top).



Here is my label, and no...my printing is not this good.  I cheat.  I type out my label in Microsoft Word with everything perfectly center-justified on my computer.  Then I highlight all of it and go "shopping" through the font selections.

I then print it out on paper in the size that will work and trot off to my light table.  I press freezer paper to the back of my label fabric to make writing on it easier.  I tape the paper down to my lightbox, position my fabric, tape it down, then I trace the font with my Pigma pen.  The name of this font is "Kirsten ITC."

In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

30 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie - this is just awesome!! I wish you all the luck with this quilt in it's many shows. Keep us posted on how well she does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly do not get tired of looking at photos of your gorgeous work!! Wow the details are marvelous and knowing you did all that stippling through dream select batting - I'm in awe! So interesting to read about your stitch shrinkage - I never write down my before measurements so by the time I have a finish I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! I don't think I would ever get tired of looking at this. I hope you will submit it to Houston and to ROAD in California so I will get to see it in January. Wouldn't you like a trip to southern CA in January 2018?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever trick for neat handwriting on a label! The quilt is wonderful. I wish it much success at the shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! What a work of art. Always a pleasure to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you thought it would never get done, but it has been a journey through a lot of rough times and you have emerged in better shape. Hopefully your journey in life will be uplifted by the completion of this quilt. It is beautiful. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never get tired of looking at this quilt. I see a new detail every time. Good luck in the shows. I'll have to go to Paducah in the fall just to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is truly jaw-dropping! I could look at it forever. Best of luck in all the shows and please let us know how it does!! Love to read your blog and can't wait to see what you are up to next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exquisite! Good like with the show entries. I don't know if I could give it up, even for a while.

    And that's exactly how I do my labels. I'd never get them centered and evenly spaced if I did them free hand.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is impeccable. I enjoyed the journey you took us on while working on this quilt. Good luck in the shows. I think your quilt is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the most fantastic quilt with precision detail and memories all wrapped up together. It is a prize winner as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I continue to be blown away by this incredible expression of love in stitches, every time you show more photos of the detail. It's just an amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a stunning quilt! full of life and sweet memories...an heirloom for sure, Teresa...I love your color choices--all bright and cheery...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a stunning awesome gorgeous quilt, very well done, a real beauty it is! Kind regards Conny

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your use of whimsy and color in this wondrous piece! Thank you so much for sharing your trip thur the process of creating and finishing this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, dear girl!!! What a joy to see it all finished. I know folks all over are going to enjoy seeing this. I was told about that method for the labels just recently and since I don't seem to do labels, it seemed an easy way to do something decent. I'll be trying it on the 12 quilts for my nieces and nephews that are being bound right now. Take a breather, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't even put into words how much I love this quilt--so creative and charming! Congratulations on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a work of art! Your applique is just perfect, and your color choices make the quilt sing. I hope some day you'll do a tutorial on hand stippling! I hope someday I see this quilt in person (in cotton?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's just fabuloso!!!! No words to capture it! An absolute masterpiece. And such an inspiration. May it capture hearts across the country (and awards too!).

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's fantastic, and great to see all those close up photos thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've loved seeing your progress on this beautiful quilt and enjoyed looking at the fine details in all your photo's. Wishing you all the best at the quilt shows.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on the finish. Just beautiful. Wonder how many quilt stitches you have in it? Hope you win every show.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The hand quilted stippling was well worth all the extra stitches and possibly sore fingers. I look forward to seeing it at two of the shows. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's fabulous Teresa! I love the pure and happy colours! There are so many creative touches and special designs in the applique and in the quilting. You could look at it for hours and still find more details you didn't see before!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A beautiful master piece. As it travels, maybe I will get to see it in person!
    Congratulations on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How wonderful to make a quilt of your life !!!!!!
    I LOVE IT !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Teresa, your quilt is gorgeous! I wish I could see it in person at one of the shows you have entered it in but I don't think I'll be going to any of them. You are so creative. I just love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful quilt, and it is finished! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Saw this quilt today at the Sauder Farm Quilt show. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!