Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Still heading for the borders...



The second border for "Contentment" is done!  This is the left border...it just needs to be dunked into water to soak out the glues.  

And I am very close to being done with the third border, the right border.  It is a mirror image in design to the left border, but with different fabrics.  My husband was off yesterday and volunteered to be my third and fourth hands to snap a couple of "wild animal pics" of me actually taking stitches.





Just a few more vines and leaves, a little embroidery and then this border with take a bath with the other one.

The bottom border has been finished, lonely and waiting for a few weeks for some company. Once I soak the glue out of the side borders, I will trim all to size and attach them to the body of the quilt.  I am so excited!




The top border contains wedding rings and more flowers and fruit.

We put almost 5000 miles on the car in December and early January...I hauled these borders around with me, but did not have the time or energy to make a single stitch.  Bummer, but they are well-traveled!
  
I took Riley to Michigan, drove to the opposite end of Alabama, then we went to Pennsylvania to see Steve's Dad and family after Christmas. While there, we drove to New York City to see a Broadway musical (Riley's Christmas present).  We saw Josh Groban in "Natasha and Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812." It was SOOOOO great!  I predict it will win awards!  We sat on the stage and were in the middle of all the action, sometimes just inches away from the performers...even Josh!  I even had a strange, impromptu, spotlit interaction with one of the cute leads! WOW! I'm in love!



I was sick all through the holidays with Bronchitis...were you?  I keep running into people that had the same thing I did.  Antibiotics, breathing treatments...I am still not quite right.  Not a good start to this weird new year!

While in Michigan, I experienced polar vortex and a snowstorm...it has been in the high 60's, low 70's here lately in NW Alabama. This is weirdly warm, even for the south.  There was snow in central Alabama a little over a week ago.  There were things I wanted to do outside while the poisonous snakes were safely snoozing...not sure I trust their sleeping habits right now.  I bet they are awake or just dozing.  I expect to see the daffodils pushing up any day now.  We are still in a terrible rain deficit.

I want to spend more time in my quilt cave this year and lose weight.  Seeing how the kitchen and the quilt cave are miles apart in this big house, that just might work!  I also decided that it is time to be less sad and more happy.

That is easier than it sounds.

In stitches,
Teresa  :o) 



26 comments:

  1. sounds like you are on the right track - time to stop grieving and get on with your life as your parents would want you to. the winter weather has been very extreme I agree - and I wouldn't quite trust that the snakes are sleeping with the way the crazy weather is - be careful if you are going to be cleaning out your storage buildings!! The quilt is looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there.... spring will be fabulous. The borders look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful holiday.
    "Less sad, more happy" sounds like a good plan. The fact it is something you want means it will happen. Our mind is a powerful muscle. Keep thinking 'more happy'.
    Quilt is looking fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The borders are looking so very good. It won't be long now to a stunning finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Less sad and more Happy" if you find a good dose of it send it my way. I have been trying to find applique ideas and I keep coming back to yours. So tomorrow I will check out your packages. Your borders are so colorful and beautiful. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are closing in on a big and fabulous finish. This is such a great family quilt😃 Best wishes for a happy and quilty 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your appliqué is amazing. How do you soak out the glue? Leave the piece in lukewarm water for 5 mins? Or? Also, it's a great goal to have, to be more positive and have happier thoughts. There are some TEDtalks on how to train your brain to think positive. They are great inspiration on some techniques to get you off to a good start! Good luck ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I echo the above, but you need to know...you are an amazing talent and I love your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's make this year the best one yet! Your applique is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I am so excited for you! What a beautiful family quilt. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing! Your work always inspires me to try harder. Thank you! ~ Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is spectacular. What is the quilting plan, hand or machine?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happier is good; I love your borders--so amazing..and the colorwork in this quilt--is breathtaking--love it . You are an inspiration... hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julierose is right - this quilt is breathtaking. And you are so close to having the top done. That should make you happy, although I know in a way it is also sad, but I'm sure you have a plan for the next great quilt adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you are really getting close to a finish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your work is beautiful. Road trips are wonderful for doing handwork. I have been doing EPP projects the last few years when we travel. I know what you mean about not quite belonging. We moved from IL to AL 3 1/2 years ago. I am not a southerner, but when I visit IL, I don't belong any more. I also have had a hard time answering the question, "Where are you from" when we travel. Nancy A in Tuscaloosa: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your borders are coming together beautifully! Funny your goals for the coming year are the same as mine. More quilting and less of me. I hope your new year will be filled with happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear you are battling sadness. It is a tough time for all of us right now as we face the abyss. My husband reads Roman history to cheer himself up-those people lived thru any number of catasrophes and still survived. Of course they did not have nuclear weapons. All we can do is keep quilting. I personally have been a chrysalis this past month and and am finally beginning to emerge. Buck up-you have created beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a new year and sadness hits everyone at one time in their lives. When you realize it is happening that is a good thing. I would like to lose 10 pounds but even with my walking everyday it is hard to get rid of those pounds. Quilting is good for the soul and walking releases the endorphin's that make us happy! Good luck on your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Teresa, your quilt top is becoming more beautiful with each step!! I have had my share of health problems & just ready to get back in shape. Once your environment and emotional levels are balance, you will find that food becomes more about sharing together than amount. (It really does happen between the ears, more than the lips!!). Good Luck. I also want you to know that I rooted for Auburn in the title game. The coach seems to get his players. It went right up to the end!! I can now concentrate on college basketball. My menfolk drive me crazy with all sports, all the time. I love stitching time during the seasons

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have put your heart and soul into "Contentment" and you can tell by every lovely stitch. I look forward to seeing the next border. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your small piece intricate applique is always lovely and inspiring!
    Hope you have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Teresa...I often read your blog posts and am constantly amazed your talent! You are such a prolific quilter/appliquer. I hope that your resolution to be more happy and less sad works for you. Seeing your beautiful quilts definitely makes my day much happier! Take care.

    Tammy morrowrj(at)telus(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your quilt is absolutely amazing to look at! What a great accomplishment this one is. I do love all your quilts though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a great play... and I love Josh!
    Definitely hoping for more happiness for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!