Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Stuck in Funky Town...


As most of you now know, the quilting world lost a bright star on Sunday, January 8.  Sue Garman was a brilliant quilter, designer and teacher.  Her boundless enthusiasm about quilting was infectious and contagious, and she touched thousands through her blog here and her pattern website here.  She was very kind, generous and helpful to me, even though I never met her in person.


I first "met her" through obtaining permission to enter this quilt based on her quilt wall hanging pattern, "All Around the Town," in an AQS show several years ago. I seem to always twist and turn other people's patterns to make them my own, and she encouraged that behavior!


She was most gracious and thrilled about my little changes and additions.  She even asked if she could post my quilt on her blog...I was so honored and excited!

She was tickled about my addition of a "red neck" house, complete with outhouse and a truck up on blocks in the yard, and other little touches in other sections inspired by my family and friends!






My daughter drew the horse to add to my quilt.






My bestie Ola's family golf tradition...



Judy E's flower garden pink flamingo pair...


Our orange kitty, Mr. Weasely...


The black stop border with every address I had ever lived hand-quilted into it...




Tiny quilts hanging in a quilt show...



I have been working on blocks for her amazing "Afternoon Delight" quilt lately.  Here are a few of my favorites...













The almost 7-inch blocks are not only beautifully designed and drafted, but incredibly fun and healing to stitch. She was designing and stitching right up to her early passing.  If you are not familiar with her patterns or her, I urge you to visit her site and her blog. She will be missed!  

Sue Garman, quilt on!

In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

21 comments:

  1. Sad loss, for sure. Your quilt is beautiful, as are your other blocks in progress. You are amazing yourself, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to a bright star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue was a beautiful lady. I met her at the Houston Quilt Festival several years ago. I was sitting alone in the dining area eating my lunch. Sue asked if she could join me. But of course I said yes. We had a lovely time together. I will miss her monthly blog posts. Now I must surely make at least one of her quilts. My heart is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks as always, are fabulous! Such gorgeous fabrics! I enjoyed revisiting your around the town quilt. I've never made a Sue Garman quilt but her patterns are so temptingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know Sue had passed away. She didn't hint on her blog at how poorly she was doing. I thought she still had lots of time left. She was such a go-getter. I still love your rendition of All Around Town, it inspires me. I started on that quilt in 2004, appliqued 5 blocks and then put it down the rabbit hole. I have improved my applique skills a lot since then and I think I might be ready to tackle that project again. Thanks again for sharing your quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilts are wonderful, so much to look at "around town". I know Sue's niece very well, she's taking the loss hard because Sue really was as wonderful as everyone says. We've lost a great inspiration and artist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the town quilt. Wonderful patterns and a great loss for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad loss. Your quilts are a tribute to her.

    Rondi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks always amaze and amuse me. Smile! I have made the OMG quilt and made it my own by applique hearts as a final border. A healing quilt when I lost my son over two years ago. Turning grief into stitches is a wonderful therapy. Hugs to you in your healing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad about Sue. My Omigosh quilt is half done. I must finish it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They always say "Only the good die young" Have to use her ethics and good nature as an inspiration for all of us. I came across her blog later than most so I spent the time to drool and learn from her posts. She will be missed. Glad to see you are back home and trying to stitch again. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could tell from her blog post in the last 4 months or so that she was not going to last long - so sad for her family just 3 or so months ago her husband and now her - such a talented woman

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had NO idea!! I started that quilt YEARS ago when the pattern first came out but never finished. I LOVE all of your adorable personal touches--TOO CUTE!! Thanks for sharing the quilting world's loss. She was quite the designer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such terrible news this week. I was so hoping she would be returned to health this year.
    Your quilt is fabulous and it was fun to see some of the details again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing quilt and lovely tribute :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful tribute! I cannot believe she is gone. She was such an inspiration. I can only imagine the plan God has for her. I dare say the next time you see an angel, she will be carrying one of Sue's quilts! Thank you so much for honoring such a wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sue was so positive even in the face of the inevitable - a good lesson to us all. Graciousness. She always replied to any emails and was so encouraging of other people's work. What a legacy she leaves. You are a very talented person too Teresa, wow, to draw up appliqué like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely tribute to an awesome quiltmaker and designer. She will be sorely missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet tribute, Theresa. I've only recently learned about Sue -- too late.

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a lovely tribute to Sue. I was so so sad to hear the news.
    Your Around the Town is one of my favorite quilts and I LOVE that you put yourself into it. I always encourage pattern adaptation too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely tribute. Your quilt is beautiful and the hand quilting is remarkable. Thank you for sharing and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!