Monday, May 2, 2016

I think and draw faster than I stitch...


I have had the applique done on these 6-inch LITTLE TREASURE blocks for a while, but I finally got around to getting the embroidery done.  They are destined for my Repro Madness quilt made up of swap blocks in reproduction fabrics.

I was tempted to ink the writing instead with a Pigma pen, but went with embroidery at the last minute.  The writing is so small, but I have not played much with inking stuff, so I decided to play it safe.

Do any of you ink details on your applique blocks?  Is there something better to use than a Pigma pen?  I have several classic Baltimore Applique books (I love Elly Sienkiewicz!) where wonderful flower details, shading and writing are added to blocks by inking.  I need to be brave and try it!  I have only done this on quilt labels...

(The patterns for these two blocks are available in the LITTLE TREASURES - Misc (1) bundle offered in my web store.  I almost have a second Misc bundle and a group of Dog and Cat designs almost ready to go!)

I can't believe Riley is finishing up her first year of college this week.  It seems like only yesterday that the stork delivered her!



I got more practice last night in making French knots as I finished this next block.  I also had a freak eyeglasses incident.  I was just sitting there, stitching and watching a little TV, when PWOING...a loose screw must have fallen out of the right side of my glasses, the frame popped open, and out plopped my lens!

We search in vain for the screw in the carpet, found another pair of glasses to scavenge, and managed to cobble things back together.  I cannot see the side of a barn without them, I am so near-sighted.  I am glad I wasn't driving or somewhere on the property by myself when it happened!

Good thing I go to the eye doctor this afternoon!



Anyway, it is good to have these two important blocks finished for my quilt.


I counted up my blocks last night, and I have really boogered myself...I am going to have to make some pieced 6-inch blocks for the balance to come out correctly on this quilt setting.  I am not the speedy, perfect piecer that many of you are, so it will be a challenge.  

It will be good for me, but I am not as fast with the piecing as I am with the hand applique.  It will also not be as portable, and I am really needing portable projects for the next month or so.

I also glue-prepped a little stack of more 6-inch blocks this weekend so I have lots of stitching to do!

We are having a thoughtful week.  Today marks a year since my dear mother-in-law passed away, and tomorrow is the 2-year anniversary of my parents' fatal car accident.  

I am still sifting their belongings as I continue to blend our households.  It is a blessing to live in this house they built and care for the treasure forest legacy that I share with six siblings.  It is a constant reminder of their love and care, both for us and the earth, but some days it is still a bit heavy.




Their roses are blooming now, just as they were when I drove all night from Michigan to get here after the accident.  I miss them so much.

In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

11 comments:

  1. Love these two blocks--I have only ever written on my quilt labels with the Pigma pens--I found they do fade after washings....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. These two blocks are very special indeed. Such beautiful work! I know your heart must be heavy today, but I'm sure your parents are so happy to have you enjoying the fruits of their labor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new blocks. Gentle hugs for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new blocks are awesome.I don´t label and when I did it I embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have used both brown and black pigma pen. i made pearl paniera's garden quilt which has a lot of pretty lettering in brown ink. she has a lot of specific instruction on how to use the ink so it will not fade or run. i have also used the black ink to make musical notes on my caswell quilt. it is kind of scary to use the ink as it is indelible-embroidery thread can be removed if you make a mistake. i mostly stick with that.
    pam @ http://pamspaintbox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. My Mom passed away Two years ago as well. Someone once told me...remembering them is easy, missing them is the heartache that won't go away. Truer words were never spoken. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blocks, I always love to see your applique. Take care and it is good to see you are being kind to yourself and smelling the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Teresa, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sending a big hug via special delivery. Your parents and m-i-l are now dancing and singing with the angels. They must be so pleased that you and your family are there tending to the greenery and flowers - making lovely blooms inside and outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Teresa. Hugs and prayers to you. It's so hard when signs of Spring, that lift others' spirits, are reminders of grief for you. Your applique quilt is so amazing that I actually squealed (out loud so my kids heard me!). If you are uncomfortable piecing, why don't you try doing those blocks English Paper Piecing style instead? Harness the power of those mad hand stitching skills you have honed through applique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are so cheery - they brightened up my day and I hope bring you some cheer when your spirits need a lift. Your embroidery is so neat I thought it was pigma pen. If you want a good look at some inking on the old Baltimore quilts I just did a blog post (google Repro Quilt Lover) with some close-up pictures of them. I took them at the Lovely Lane museum a couple of weeks ago when we were at an event featuring their four Baltimore album quilts. Keep drawing, you're really good at it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!