Sunday, October 11, 2015

Road trip and a quilt show...



Oh, my friends, I am so sick of this move!  We are in Alabama permanently now, waiting for our house to sell in Michigan (there was an open house today...cross your fingers for me...).  We have not moved in and unpacked very much of our own stuff, as I am trying to come to terms with the contents of my parents' house.

What to do when you are completely overwhelmed and need a break???  ROAD TRIP!!!

I drove about 90 minutes due east to attend the last day of the FANFARE 2015 QUILT SHOW & SALE put on every other year by the Heritage Quilters of Huntsville.  Thank you to Barbara Black, quilt show co-chair, for letting me know about the event and trying to show me there are quilters in North Alabama!  Thank you so much!

It was a very nice show, and I took a few pictures before my sciatica told me to stop wandering around and raising my arms to take pictures...bummer.  The one pictured above won Best of Show.  When I got home, I was sorry to see that I only photographed about 28 of the 201 entries.  I'm so sorry I didn't get to them all!  I wandered around and if no one was loitering in front of a quilt, I took its picture...not a very thorough or professional way to go about it, but when you are in pain you do the best you can!

ENJOY...













Scrappy and pieced to perfection...




This was so colorful and happy...another pattern that I am sure I have in my still-boxed-up quilt stash...sigh...
















I loved the simplicity of this 2-color quilt...









I really like interesting house quilts...



























Yay!  Best Hand Quilting awarded to this next one...of roughly 201 entries, only 7 were completely hand quilted and 6 were both hand and machine quilted...that makes me sad.  Either I am a dinosaur, or hand-quilting is a cold-climate game!


This was one of my favorites...







I have the pattern for this next quilt...if I'm not mistaken, the size was reduced to make it a charming wall-hanging size.  It was really pretty!









This next quilt also seemed smaller than I've seen it before at other shows...well done and I really liked the size!


If I missed your entry, I am truly sorry!

And finally, this quilty moment was brought to you by...100% cotton!  Look what I passed on my way home, north of Courtland, Alabama.  Funny...it smelled like my quilt cave...



I turned around, got off the divided highway on a dirt road, and got as close as I could get to take a picture.  Thank you, property owner, for not shooting me!


Most fields have been harvested, but not this one...


...yes, I now live 'way down south in the land of cotton' again!  (and not just in my quilt cave!)

Almost in stitches again,
Teresa   :o)

29 comments:

  1. Thanks for postings pictures of the show. And especially that you are doing ok. I think about you often. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like that was a great quilt show, and the photos you took were marvelous. Thanks so much for posting them. Wishing you the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Teresa, for these great photos. I took very few. It was wonderful to meet you and hope to see you again. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt photos you took and shared are magnificent! Thank you so much! I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time in adjusting to the move. I have been there and really understand. My husband and I moved to west Texas to be near his Mother and Uncle. It was wonderful meeting them, but no one understood that in my entire life I had never lived more than a couple hours away from my Mother and Father and that first year, especially the holidays, were so awful. So truly, I do understand to a degree and if you need someone to talk to you can email me and I will listen and respond. Sometimes it helps. brend_ack@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear teresa,i hope you can sell your house in michigan very soon,and all becomes well in alabama for you,hugs,susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the photos and commentary. I wondered how much cotton it takes to make a yard of fabric. Take care of you - my sister says that massages help her sciatica.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing all the lovely photos of the show. I hear that about a lot of the quilt shows - too much machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally enjoyed your tour of the Quilt Show--such beautiful quilts! Change is so difficult--I hope you can settle in soon....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing these quilts! My favorites are Star All Around and Miss Kathleen. What a wonderful show!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, WOW! Looks like that was a FANTASTIC show!! I love Ode to Joy, and the Christmas Pickle, and the Little Bit Judi and someone else quilt... So much quilty goodness all in one place!

    Good luck with selling your house. That is such a stressful process to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad Barbara Black posted the link to your blog...I *live* outside of Huntsville and have been active with the guild, but this past weekend was just impossible and filled with activity that I couldn't avoid (albeit, I enjoyed it very much), and can you believe it? For the first time in YEARS I didn't make it to the show or have a quilt in the show. *sigh* I enjoyed your pictorial through it, thank you, thank you! I, too, was a transplant (from Maryland) about 20 years ago. It grows on you. Where exactly are you now?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing these wonderful quilts. Hope things settle down for you soon. Happy "hand" stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is what a love about quilty blogs - road trip PICTURES! Thank you so much. I've looked thru them twice. The house quilt with all your closeups is such a fun quilt

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to Alabama. We moved from Champaign/Urbana, Il a little over two years ago to Tuscaloosa, AL to be near our oldest daughter. Moving is not to be taken lightly. Hope you can be in your home soon. It takes a while to get settled and even longer for it to become home. Give yourself time. Enjoyed seeing the pictures and wish I could have been there to see all the beautiful quilt myself. Since moving here, I have joined a quilt guild for the first time. We have a quilt show every other year, and will have one in March. But ours will be much smaller than the one in Huntsville. Hope you will let know when the next one is, so I can try to make it. Anyway, welcome to AL! Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's nice to hear from you again. Funny, you were in my thoughts this weekend and pouf, here you are! Please take lots of pictures as you rebuild your quilt cave - yours on one of the first blogs I started following and it was all because of your organization post on Stash Manicure! I learned so much from you, and I organized my "Happy Place" along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi and Welcome back to Alabama! I'm down in Enterprise. I love the quilt show pics you shared. Thank you. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning quilts! I hope you find some settled peace soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those were great quilts. I too love hand quilting the best. Although machine stitching is intricate and amazing I just really prefer how hand quilting looks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A good quit show, such as this one, can lift the spirits. Glad you found one and thanks for taking photos. So that is how cotton looks when ready for picking. It looks ready to go in the package for cosmetic puffs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved these - thanks! You might be a dinosaur - I guess that makes me one too. Glad we're not completely extinct :0) I live in a cold climate and hand quilter's are hard to find here as well. What a great picture of the cotton field - does it really smell like fabric??

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have thought about you recently and wondered how you were doing adjusting to Alabama and if you had sold the house in Michigan - it will go sooner or later! I assume the husband had a job lined up in Alabama and you all are settling in

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your photos of the quilt show. I usually attend the Huntsville show, but my local group had our own show in Rogersville and that took all my time this year. If you are north of Courtland, you just might be in our area. I would like to invite you to check out our group: https://www.facebook.com/EastLauderdaleQuilters We are a small, fairly new, casual group and welcome all levels of quilters and those interested in quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for all of the lovely photos at the quilt show! So many beauties ! It is sad that there was not very much hand quilting, though.
    Love the cotton field shots as we don't have those in PA. ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. amazing quilts. So much applique and unique quilts - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great show! I love that basket quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you took your road trip. Enjoyed seeing your shots of the show and the beautiful cotton field. Quilts were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like there are some talented quilters there. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I can sympathize on the sciatica. I've had it and it seems to take forever to get over. One thing that worked for me was "ice bags" made from ziplocs and corn syrup. The corn syrup doesn't freeze hard so it pliable enough to put anywhere. Just double or triple the ziplocs or better yet use a Food Saver to seal the corn syrup in. The cold from the ice bags and stretching seemed to be the only thing that really helped. Hope you feel better soon....and get your parents house cleaned out. I had to go through that several years ago. A little at a time and you'll get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lot of pretty quilts. Thank you for sharing with us all! I haven't seen a cotton field in full eruption in years!

    ReplyDelete
  29. thanks for sharing all the beautiful quilts.
    I pray you are able to get through the move in quickly. So sorry about your loss.
    Can not wait to see how your organize your new quilt "cave"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!