Wednesday, October 29, 2014

One person's fabric therapy is another person's insanity...


I had an epiphany over the weekend...tiny, fiddly, insane piecing is NOT my strong suit, although crazily KEEPING tiny pieces of fabric for later projects IS my strong suit.  How crazy is that?


I have been sorting through my reproduction scraps for tiny bits and strips to make into blocks for my attempt at Sue Garman's properly named "Ohmigosh!" quilt.  The smallest pieces are 1/2 inch finished.

Sue Garman scrap quilt - Omigosh - 1/2" finished squares make up the nine patch units.

I have been watching others work on this project out in the blogosphere...some at an amazing speed...and my hat is OFF to you!


I finally decided I needed to stop and put one of the two block types in this quilt together to see if I have the right stuff to make this.  OMG...those four patches are tiny!  And the nine patches? Wow!!!


That shoo fly block will finish at 4-1/2 inches...SERIOUSLY, Ohmigosh!

I find myself cutting up every repro scrap...even this cheater cloth...to find tiny bits and pieces to use in this scrappy quilt.



I am SOOO much more comfortable with teeny, tiny APPLIQUE pieces, which I know most of YOU find insane!


Clearly, one person's fabric therapy is another person's insanity...and vice versa!


I will not give up on "Ohmigosh," but I am definitely more comfortable...and faster...with the fiddly hand applique!  I so admire my friends who can just whip out the intricately machine-pieced tops.  But for me, it is like trying to speak another language that I am not that comfortable in speaking!

In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

26 comments:

  1. I am working this but using 1.5" pieces - I like to work tiny, not insanely tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh loving that quilt! I have the pattern too. Your is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...this will be fantastic !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to look wonderful. Glad you are tackling the project. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed with your OMG quilt progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get what you are saying. I have done lots of piecing this year and have improved and become more comfortable with it but I still prefer applique! That Omigosh quilt is certainly not on my bucket list but I will enjoy watching yours come together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG is one pattern that I have been looking at for some time now to make. I'm just not sure when I will make it - I haven't even gotten the pattern still. I think I will most likely do it little at a time though and not fast like have done

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remember, you can make the omigosh whatever size YOU choose - baby, wall, lap . . . .you can then say you did it but without going king sized and bonkers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I admire you! And I am quite jealous of the cheater cloth, which I could use for my Stonefields! (for applique, LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, lordy, girl. Now I do believe you are insane!! No way in heck I'd ever tackle that one. Do love to see the efforts of other folks, though. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. С интересом буду следить за твоими успехами с "Ohmigosh!" quilt. Мечтаю тоже его сшить.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am working on that quilt. Well at least cutting parts for it as I piece farmer's wife blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So funny :)
    I do like to piece tiny pieces... my sanity is your insanity.
    But I'm scared of tiny applique pieces... your sanity is my insanity.
    Hopefully we will both stay sane! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your block looks wonderful Teresa, and I completely understand why you want to approach the Omigosh project slowly. Your love of appliqué certainly shines through, and you're amazing at it, so maybe it will always be your special skill. I too love that conversational print you showed us, and may or may not have just done a little search for some (can't prove anything)!
    Hugs
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it funny how we all have our comfort zones. I struggle with piecing also. For me worrying about accuracy gets old and it doesn't take much for me to get off! I love my needleturn applique and proud to admit piecing is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you considered cheating? Oversizing the cut pieces and then trimming them to size after stitching? Then even the tiniest 9 patches can be perfect, just the way you want them, with less driving yourself crazy. I think that with hand stitching your applique you get used to total control and accuracy, and then when you sit down at the sewing machine even the slightest inaccuracy can drive you nuts. And your applique is so spectacular -- all those tiny pieces in that oboe!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are tiny, but oh so lovely when you get the block done. I started this in batiks a few years back....guess I should pull it out again....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I decided to skip the four patches as those triangles... That's insanity!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ANY of that teeny tiny piecing/appliqueing stuff would make me crazy, but I sure do enjoy seeing what you more lofty souls have achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I certainly couldn't do the tiny appliqué work but would have a shot at the tiny pieced blocks. Like you I keep even the smallest scrap of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Teresa, whose applique "method" do you use, or is yours a hybrid of several different ones? I find I jump around among several.
    I do enjoy the tiny fiddly applique pieces though. I like building them into flowers or faces or buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your tiny block is so cute. I have some very small pieces that I've saved, but not sure what quilt they will go into. That one is insane for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would definitely be more comfortable with the small piecing. I have over 300 log cabin blocks with 1/2" finished logs. I need to get it put together. I'll leave the tiny appliqué to you! I love the scrappy 9-patches. I think I'll start making some of those as leaders/enders.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!