Sunday, September 28, 2014

Last two Miss Emilie blocks DONE...




Finally, the last two "Miss Emilie's Garden" blocks are hand appliqued, soaked to remove the glue, cut to size, and pinned on the design wall. Twenty-five little jewels...now on to the sashing, borders, and a finish.  The red and green fabrics I have chosen for the setting should add a little needed zip to the blocks.


I sure am glad I had those 25 blocks prepped and ready to applique before starting all those road trips this summer.  It was comforting to have something portable in case I had the time or the will to stitch.


So, some of you have emailed me to ask if I did any shopping at the two AQS shows I have been to this summer.

Well...I invested in some hand-dyed fabrics to add to my stash of tone-on-tone pieces that I use for applique.







The directions that came with my purchases said to pre-wash them, even though many rinses were included in their making.  Wow!  I think I emptied the hot water heater 3 or 4 times while aggressively rinsing them...LOTS of unincorporated dye!  

After a very physical session of multiple hand rinses, I put them in the washer for a final hot water rinse and a spin.  I was pleased to see the water drain "clear" when finished.  Thank God we don't have to do that kind of hand washing anymore!  I used to think I was born in the wrong century, but I do like my washer and dryer!



Now to find storage space for all of them...or just leave them out and USE THEM!!

I have developed a Pinterest habit...one thing that is really fun to collect is pictures of old, antique quilts.  That way I can really study them.  I am really enchanted by antique appliqued album quilts, especially where each block in the quilt is different.  But lately, I have been fixating on a couple with multiples of one block.  Here's one that speaks to me that is a Rose of Sharon variation...


I showed it to Steve and his first comment was saying it looked like a swastika.  OK...point taken.  I have been drafting and re-drafting the block, adding some elements to make it look less like a swastika and more like just pretty flowers, vines, and leaves.

Now I am wondering if I have the attention span to make a quilt with nine identical blocks.  I really like the swag variation with flowers for the outer border and the flowers for the corners.

I am also drawn to the quilts of Susan McCord, many of which reside about 25 miles from me at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.  Lately I have been studying this one...



Mostly, I love the shape of the urn.  I have sketched that urn with some different flowers in an 18 inch block.  Again, do I love it enough to make nine identical blocks?  Hmm...

In stitches, 
Teresa   :o)

19 comments:

  1. Your applique blocks are stunning both in the work/technique and your selection of colors and prints! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your blocks, they will make a lovely quilt. I used to live in Michigan and drafted a block using that bottom quilt as inspiration. It was one of my early appliqué quilts back in the early 1990's. I finished the center but got stuck on the borders and then decided I didn't like the colors I had used. Maybe I should drag that old UFO out and just finish it! Can't wait to see your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stunning blocks and I love the fabric used in them. Just love the old applique quits - sure you will come up with a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your blocks are gorgeous!! In all my favorite colors :0) I look forward to seeing how you put this together. I loved reading your thoughts about 9 block applique quilts - have you been visiting inside my head? Lol That Susan McCord quilt - I love that one too! I cant wait to see what project you tackle next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa, This is the plan I use. If you like them both make one block of the first one then make a block of the second one. Keep going this way and you aren't so bored plus you get two quilts appliqued, Boring is not fun when you want to get something done. Also do different colors in each. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made it through the Miss Emilie blocks fairly quickly. Well done.
    I would find it hard to make nine identical applique blocks but sometimes you have to do it. I think I still have an applique book with versions of Susan McCord quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are lovely. You are very wise to wash your fabrics, I have a friend who just had a terrible experience washing her hand quilted Mrs Billings Quilt, the red dye ran, we were lucky enough to get most of it out and it looks much better now.
    I too love the quilts of Susan McCord, The last quilt you showed is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous old quilts - you and I must ge stitching sisters as I enjoy what you like too. Have you checked out Sue Garman's blog? Gorgeous photos on it and lovely applique patterns for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Miss Emilie looks amazing! Your magic hand quilting will let it really sing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great !
    Greetings from Poland :)
    Katarzyna

    www.sajuki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blocks and beautiful had dyed fabrics. Can’t wait to see how you use them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teresa I linked to you today for the around the world, it is your turn next week - have fun with it. love your dyed fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Miss Emilie's Garden is beautiful. Can't wait to see what you finish it with. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful collection of fabrics!
    Your blocks are so pretty... can't wait to see what you are doing with them next!

    ReplyDelete
  15. it is you my dear who always and will continue to inspire me to new heights.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Emilie blocks are so lovely! I look forward to the next stage!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your applique blocks and fabric colors / choices. Gorgeous.

    I discovered Susan McCord in a quilting book and she is amazing. I went online later to look for more of her work.

    I too like the repetitive quilts but doubt I could make the same blocks over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What kind of dye did you used for the hand dyed fabrics? I want to try it on my own, I love the pink ones as well as the green. They will be perfect for my next project, I will visit a haberdashery shop next week to buy some crafting materials.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What if you did one of the 9 block quilts at the same time as another? It may take longer but you won't have to maintain such an attention span.
    I love the fabrics you bought, but can't believe you needed them! lol They'd be perfect for Bonnie Hunter's new mystery quilt (hint, hint).
    Your Miss Emilie blocks are so great! The sashing will make them pop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!