Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sauder Village Quilt Show (a little tardy), Part One...


Nothing makes me feel more normal than quilting, so yesterday on my first full day back from being at my parents' house for 3 weeks, I drove out to see my friend Mary and pick up my quilts.  I received news of my parents' fatal accident before the Sauder Village Quilt Show was over, and Mary and her husband graciously offered to pick up my quilts after the show and hold onto them until I got home.

Mary had made me lovely, zippered fabric bags for both of the quilts to protect them (thank you!!) and carefully preserved my ribbons.  Somewhere in the blur of the last 3 weeks I remember being told that I had won the people's choice award for my music quilt in addition to winning first place in its category.  It didn't sink in until I was driving back to Ypsilanti yesterday with the quilts and ribbons in the back seat, and I cried all the way home.  I am so touched by receiving this award from my quilting peers...it means more to me than any ribbon from a judge ever could!



I was going to get a picture of the music quilt hanging in the show on the last day when I went to pick them up, but I never got the opportunity.  I really couldn't get near it to photograph it on the day I went to the show, so I took the following picture, lurking NEAR it, behind an adjacent quilt on the next row of the set up...


It is fun to lurk near your quilt at a show and hear the comments...comments like, "no WAY are the edges turned under on THAT tiny piece," or "do you think it is really FUSED instead of hand appliqued?!?"  Hee-hee-hee...all fun and games...here's the picture from the day I tore up my family room for photography's sake...


My little version of Lori Smith's "Songs of Spring" did well, too, also taking a first place ribbon in the appliqued, hand quilted wall hanging category.




I had to pull out of the NQA Show in Columbus, OH this past weekend due to circumstances, but "Baltimore Rhapsody - Symphony" will be making its way to Shipshewana, IN in June, the AQS Grand Rapids, MI show in August, and the AQS Chattanooga, TN show in September.  My parents were very supportive of my quilting, this quilt in particular, and the launching of my fledgling pattern business.  I hope to endeavor to live up to their opinion of my abilities.

I will follow with posts of the Sauder Village Quilt Show pictures in the next few days...tardy, but still full of beautiful quilts and much inspiration!  I managed to photograph about 130 of the 400 entered into the show on the day I went.

In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

20 comments:

  1. congratulations Teresa! I knew they were blue ribbon quilts!
    So sorry to read about your loss. My prayers are sent to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your much deserved wins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's try this again! These well deserved wins are such good news for you right now. See, we all told you that Symphony quilt was fabulous. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on your quilts and the ribbons. well deserved!! you put a lot of work into them and it was a joy to follow along with the progress while you made them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such well deserved ribbons made extra special by the honor of the Viewer's Choice award. I know your parents are looking down from heaven and are just so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your awards! Well deserved and so exciting!
    Bittersweet after such a traumatic loss. It's amazing how the extremes of life can be present at the same time - terrible grief and great joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Teresa!! I'm sure they will see more ribbons in the future :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you got those well deserved awards, Teresa! I know your parents would be so proud. Perhaps they know even now. I'm praying for you. The God of all comfort is well able to comfort you. Just rest in Him. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope quilting continues to be your refuge Teresa. You are so very talented and I am sure earned every bit of your parents' high opinions of you. Is it too late for a Houston entry?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did miss your quilt at the NQA show, but I totally understand. I have Baltimore Rhapsody at Sauder Village pictured on my blog on the May 2nd post. I enjoyed listening to the wonderful comments made about it. I agree with Katy, bittersweet. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Teresa, what a wonderful wins for your gorgeous quilts!! I have been thinking of you & hope you can start the healing process. I know quilting has helped me through this very rough year. You spoke of so much love with your parents on your blog. It is good to know they are together. Love & Hugs to you and your family. One day at a time & it will ease up a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations . . . and I couldn't agree more about Viewer's Choice awards. They mean A LOT! If you go to Chattanooga, I hope we can meet up (See Rock City is also entered for that show)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilts deserved those ribbons. You must be so proud! I just read your previous post as well and it was very touching. A very heartfelt tribute. Your parents are very loved and it shows. Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Teresa. This is wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations it is great to see all your hard work paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Teresa, all your work is paying off in a big way! Congratulations on your awards! Have you thought about Houston for your music quilt? I think you should enter it-think about what that could do for your pattern business! Just a thought.
    Take it slow, just one day at a time. Gather love around you, it will help lift you up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the ribbons. You deserve them, your quilts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations!!! A much deserved ribbon:) I hope I get to see this quilt in person at a show some day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!