Friday, August 20, 2010

Not quite done...

Wow...two posts from me in one day...it's either feast or famine lately, huh...

I talked earlier (today) about trying to finish this baby quilt for my nephew.  I still want to put a skinny light blue border on, followed by another narrow white one, then bind it in white.

What you see was all hand-pieced and hand-appliqued.  Once I figured out how to connect all my little circles (that were on square backgrounds...go figure), I ended up appliqueing the whole mess on white borders.

Thanks to Kellie at Don't Look Now for this "adventure" in quilting.  Her tutorials were great...I'm just an idiot.  I like the name of her blog...I will think of it every time I think about the messy back of this quilt top (as in, "oooo, 'don't look now'...at this messy back side of the top...). 

When I get the other little borders on the top, I will show you the back side before I layer it all for the hand-quilting (and hide it all away forever and ever, amen).  Now THAT will be a humbling experience for me!  I always try so hard to press carefully so the back of my work doesn't look like a train wreck, but joining these round blocks on square backgrounds...let's just say it was like putting a square peg in a round hole.

The important thing is that I pushed through my mental block about this quilt and I will have it finished, layered, quilted, and sent on it's way to little Asa in no time!

In stitches,
Teresa  :o)

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for finding a solution that works for you and makes for a very lovely quilt!! Perseverance does pay off :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nephews quilt is lovely. I think you are very brave, I too was very keen to make this quilt but no matter how many times I read the instructions I couldn't work them out. I finally decided to put it in the too hard basket! Congratulations on finishing.

    Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its adorable, congrats!!!!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Good for you for pulling it out of the box - what a lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Joseph's Coat is wonderful. Looking forward to seeing photos after you've quilted it. I have my compass out and bought more freezer paper....guess that's sort of a start? That will be a treasured gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback! I am sorry that I am no longer able to accept comments from "Anonymous" readers...it leaves the door open for too many spammers!