Don't get too excited...this is a picture of a picture. This is the Gorsuch family quilt. What do you do when you are disconnected from your quilt cave and your stash? You dream, scheme, and plan about projects to start when you are reconnected...this usually involves spending a little money...
I ordered this pattern from Margo E. Hardie from the land down under. Here is her home page. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org. She does mail to the United States. I am so grateful for her time-consuming reproduction of this amazing quilt!
I have always loved this quilt...the Gorsuch family owned the quilt, but it is not certain who made it. Many of the blocks are similar to blocks made or designed by Mary Simon at that time in history. Many people may have contributed blocks, or maybe they were all stitched by one person.
I want to make this quilt...or one similar to it, but one thing has always bugged me about it...the blocks are all on point, but really only one of the blocks NEEDS to be on point. See the urn block just above? All the other blocks have the appearance of leaning slightly. Oh, and I guess the squirrel in one of the other blocks pictured above will have to be readjusted for a straight set.
To my eye, most of the blocks would work set in a straight setting. I have not completely studied the directions yet, but I think the blocks are supposed to finish at 13.5 or 14 inches square. I am thinking of either resizing the one obvious on-point block or resizing all the others and choosing a block size that would work for all. You may all think I am nuts, but that's the way I see it.
If I change the setting, the cornucopia wouldn't look so strange to me...right now it looks like it is dumping out its contents. In a straight set, it would make more sense to my eye, and the container would be on a diagonal line.
This is the on-point pattern.
But the down side to the changes would be not needing the charming setting and corner triangles. They are not consistent as far as difficulty and fullness. The pattern on the left below would whip up very quick, but the one with all the berries would be time-consuming. Maybe I could use the designs to make additional square blocks...
And here is one of the sweet little corner triangles...
Those who know me know I have trouble leaving other people's patterns alone. I change blocks, borders, etc. until the final project pleases me. That is what led me to drawing the Baltimore Rhapsody music project. Half of the blocks in my Civil War Bride quilt were redrawn to my liking and to fit our family story.
I guess I am saying I don't feel bad about changing things and will most likely do this to the Gorsuch quilt pattern. Margo did a beautiful job interpreting this historic quilt, but I must make changes if I am going to spend all this time making it.
Anyway, as I continue to pack boxes and tie up loose Michigan ends, I am dreaming of applique...