Thursday, April 23, 2015

"Miss Emilie" is quilted and the binding is done...



There's nothing like a show deadline to kick you in the butt!  The Sauder Village Quilt Show opens next week and I have to take the quilt to Ohio on Sunday afternoon for the event.  ("Miss Emilie's Garden," pattern by Lori Smith).


This border was really challenging for me...the fuddly piecing on the mitered corner...zeesh!  The corners are not perfect, but I am glad I pushed forward with them.  I'm not sure more seam ripping would have helped...lining up the appliqued sawtooth edges was very difficult.


The hand quilting was so soothing at a particularly stressful time...I am so ready for things to get less stressful in our family!




I tried to sneak in hand quilting my initials in the bird block, but I think the tiny block made it too crowded.  It just looks like a glob of quilting stitches.  Those applique blocks measure less than 6 inches square.


I was slightly more successful adding the date I finished it...


The whole quilt measures 42 x 42 inches.


Last night was the first "pay-off" event for a graduating high school senior at Washtenaw International High School...Honors Convocation.



Riley won the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program Departmental Award for Literature and will graduate Summa Cum Laude at the end of May.  This is her Lit teacher making the presentation.


We are very proud of the way she has handled the family stress of the last year (better than her parents...).  She has made her college decision and will accept the Presidential Scholarship and attend the University of Alabama in the fall.  Roll Tide, Roll!  

(That is a little hard for me to say, as I graduated across the state from Auburn University...War Eagle!)

Now, on to the prom this weekend...

Anyone going to the 39th Annual Sauder Village Quilt Show in NE Ohio next week? Maybe I will see you there!

In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

24 comments:

  1. The quilt looks fabulous!!! Your work is always so detailed and beautiful! Hope your family life settles down for you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Emilie's Garden is beautiful. Love the way you sneaked in the date but I couldn't find the initials you mentioned. Hope the stress dissipates soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on completing it. It is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. the quilt is so beautiful and the handquilting is faboulous,and congrats to your daughter,you can be very proud,hugs,susi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This quilt is absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looks great. Your hand quilting is beautiful. Congrats to your daughter. How proud you must be. Good luck at the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on another stunning finish. Congratulations to your daughter, too. Good luch at the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous finish!! Your quilting is beautiful! I think the initials and the date turned out very well. Congratulations to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful! I love how you quilted the year into one block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love those chedder-y golds in your lovely quilt--they really make it come alive--looks like really hard borders...came out so beautifully--
    congrats to your lovely daughter...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you've done your usual magnificent job on Miss Emilie!! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I love her pasterns and you did this one proud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Riley like so many kids stay focus more than adults do. So glad she had such great honors bestowed on her. Glad you are finding stress free sewing to help. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Teresa, your quilt is a masterpiece! Congratulations! Just thinking about attempting that border puts me into a cold sweat. I don't know how you could possibly have aligned the corner miters better than you did, unless there was some way to applique the corners after the miter was sewn?? I love how you quilted in your initials and your finish date. Also, congratulations to your daughter! How exciting! Here's hoping that the stress is falling by the wayside and leaving you in a better place mentally and spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just beautiful! Would you happen to remember what the green fabric is in the swags? I really like it. And congrats to your lovely daughter. You definitely should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful job! I just love this quilt. I wish I could see it at the show. And congratulations to your beautiful daughter. Hope this will be the start of a less stressful family time for all of you. Thanks for sharing this wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is so beautiful! You do such lovely work.

    Congrats to your daughter and your family on her graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spectacular finish on the Miss Emilie quilt. The design is in my stash of quilt patterns for a some day project.

    ReplyDelete
  19. BEAUTIFUL quilt Teresa! You are such an inspiration to the rest of us hand appliquers! Congratulations too on Riley's accomplishments! I'll bet you are one proud Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The dogtooth border looks perfect from here!! Very gorgeous work---you are amazing. Congrats on your daughter's honors. She must have gotten her smarts from her parents!! Good luck on the quilt show & more senior fun. Hope she gets to stay in the family, with her choice of college. I don't know what Presidential means, but I am in awe!! Hopefully, she will have lots of great classes in her major. It makes me feel old to talk about college. It was ages ago. I would never make it through a class today, probably have to nap from the walking alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats to Riley on her honors! And Congrats on yet another stunning quilt!! I won't make it to Sauder Village this year, but I have a quilt in the Challenge category. So glad to hear you are going. And here's to much less stress for all of you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow your quilt is beautiful! and your hand quilting is amazing!! Hope you win a ribbon at the show!! Congratulations on your daughters achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your quilt is just gorgeous Teresa, the appliqué is beautiful, and your quilting stunning. I hope it shows well. Congratulations also to Riley, you are right to be so proud of her!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!