Well, I always knew that I couldn't put every music block in the first quilt of this Baltimore Rhapsody project, but I am disappointed to exclude these three from my first quilt. When I first envisioned the "symphony" quilt, I was going to put the viola in the same block as the violin, one on each side of the fruit compote, etc. I was also not going to include the piano or timpani.
Then, there is the last block I am working on right now...how could I not include it (as soon as I finish it, I will post it - it is so FUN!).
Now I see these three with a fourth block (doodled in my noodle...). Then they will make a nice wall hanging.
I couldn't wait to finish the current block to square them up and start messing around with the arrangement of the sixteen blocks. So now that I finished all the embroidery, it's time to trim and have a partial reveal.
When it all boils down, I mostly wanted to see the monster all together.
The ruler on the right has been very useful on this project. It is made by Omnigrid and measures 15 inches square. The Creative Grids ruler on the left is new and was especially designed to square up this size block. It measures 15-1/2 inches square...PERFECT!
The blocks have had a final pressing, and I carefully, carefully trimmed away the excess background. "Measure twice, cut once" is certainly appropriate in this case.
The new ruler made quick work, and I have a pile of blocks ready to be pinned to my design wall.
My strategy consists of arranging the blocks, considering color, which way the block "leans," and spreading out the various degrees of heaviness. THEN I STAND BACK AND SQUINT. The squinting is key for me.
Every time I moved blocks around, I took a picture so that I could reproduce that arrangement, if needed.
For the next picture, I inserted my unfinished block...mostly to get rid of the hideously ugly and old pink college blanket that is used for the design wall in the quilt cave.
I'm sure I will move them around some more. I am making various sashing and border pieces, so it was time to have the blocks up on the wall so I could audition sashing strips and fabrics where I can see the whole thing.
The quilt is not this dark...my indoor photography needs a lot of help, mostly a better camera, I think. It is really gratifying to see them all (mostly) and continue the planning.
p.s. I was openly WEEPING tonight after Downton Abbey, Season 3, Episode 4. Spoiler alert: someone dies. OMG! I AM STILL CRYING...