Before doing this, I want to be completely through with any stitching or embroidery so that I wouldn't be handling the blocks too much before seaming in all the raw edges (I hate all the messy strings when blocks start to unravel from being handled too much).
I looked at them with a much more critical eye than when I first finished them. I saw some things that needed to be tweaked or fine tuned...some more outline embroidery, a French knot here or there, a few more "safety" applique stitches on pointy pieces.
First I tuned up the string section. Here are some before and after pictures so you can see the difference. Some of you may think I am being fussy, but after all the work that has gone into this project, I want it to be as good as it can be.
|Violin before fine-tuning...|
|Violin after fine-tuning...|
I had used a slightly darker fabric for the side of the violin to help with the perspective, but it needed a little darker outline stitching to look right.
I went back and added this to all stringed instruments.
|Cello before fine-tuning...|
|Cello after fine-tuning...|
I also added some outline stitching to the lighter fruits of the violin block where there wasn't enough contrast between the pear fabrics and the background fabric.
|Pears before fine-tuning...|
|Pears after fine-tuning...|
It is a subtle change, but I like the result. I also made similar adjustments on the viola and double bass blocks.
Now the string blocks are all tuned up and ready to be trimmed!