Now that I have finished the 20 center applique blocks of my version of The Civil War Bride, I can see the finish line...but not before more applique is done.
I spent the evening yesterday applying a very thin sashing between and around the blocks. It finishes 0.75 inches. I got through very late, and had a little post-sewing "freak out." I had been so sure of the sashing before I started, but once it was done, I was wondering if I should remove the sashing and put the blocks together without it.
I posted this picture on Lizzie's Civil War Bride blog before I went to bed to get some input on the sashing. I spent an hour on the phone this morning with one quilting BFF and emailed another, contemplating the sashing. Everyone's input has been so helpful, and I appreciate the time that everyone spent sharing advice and comments.
I have decided to leave the sashing as it is. I am going ahead with an eight-inch wide applique border, although (big surprise) I will deviate a little from Corliss's pattern. My plan right now is to do this applique on the same background as the central blocks, then bind with the same neutral fabric, but that could change if I feel it needs some sort of additional border from a coordinating print (doubtful - this thing is growing...).
I'm reducing the amount of applique so that there will be some blanks in the outer border for the hand quilting to really show. It just seems too frantic to me to fill every space in that outer border (sometimes I think I have a touch of autism - I don't like things too busy or chaotic). I'm also going to applique my initials and the year in the mix somewhere. I love the antique quilts where the maker did that. I'm not bold enough to put my whole name in the border, but I like the idea of personalizing it on the front, discreetly.
So, stay tuned...hopefully I will get this figured out!!
Thanks for your support on this project!